About Me

My photo
I am a fiscally and socially conservative Christian who gets frustrated with the world, and my place in it, and wants to talk about it.

Saturday, February 19, 2011

The Holy Spirit

I recently read "The Forgotten God" by Francis Chan. I've been interested in the Holy Spirit for a long time, but the only book I've read was by Billy Graham. I've often thought of the Holy Spirit as an "it" or a "power source" but I haven't meditated on Him as fully God, as are the Father and the Son.

Chan's book really spotlighted the same problems I've had, not only with not fully understanding Him as part of the Trinity, but in honoring Him at work in my life and understanding what God has given me by allowing His Holy Spirit to indwell me.

I pray differently now, fervently praying that the Holy Spirit would manifest in me the fruit of the spirit - I need them all desperately. And I know who I would be without His working in me - a complete wretch! That's not false humility. That's truth.

I see some small improvements - in my patience, my kindness, my peace. I still struggle with loving people. I'm so critical, I see faults and flaws, and I judge people with my own wicked judgement instead of the judgement of God. But I will keep praying to manifest all the fruit: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness, and self-control. And I will always give glory to God for any improvement because I couldn't do one thing without the power of the Holy Spirit inside me.