About Me

My photo
I am a fiscally and socially conservative Christian who gets frustrated with the world, and my place in it, and wants to talk about it.

Friday, January 21, 2011

Meditation

Last week my pastor talked about goals for the New Year. I had been feeling pretty happy with myself for having set some smallish goals this year. I don't usually make resolutions, but my lack of discipline has really hindered me: in terms of improving my health (as much as I can in light of some things I can't control), my Christian growth, and my desire to immerse myself in the study of apologetics. Without discipline, those things, and others, have been nothing more than wishes.

What I learned Sunday really shocked me - I never even asked God what HE wants me to do! I pray all the time, but clearly I thought I didn't need to ask His opinion on this valuable question: what should I do with the time He's given me?

One of the categories Pastor Chico mentioned was meditation. I'm not hyper or super-active, but the idea of sitting and thinking, without any distractions, is foreign to me. Part of the problem is that thinking too much made me sad because I wasn't choosing what to think about.

I really want to pursue this - the idea of meditating on God, His attributes, His blessings, His creation - any and all things about God - is very exciting. And it requires discipline that I don't yet have, which can only help me in all areas of my life.